A walnut Chippendale chest of drawers of compact size having a double molded top over a case of four cock beaded and graduated drawers flanked by fluted quarter columns and raised on ogee bracket feet. Possibly Lancaster County,PA. Circa 1780.
The construction of this piece exhibits ideosyncratic joinery techniques such as the use of wooden pins (tree nails) in lieu of nails and central drawer supports indicating a German-trained cabinetmaker or his apprentice. The surface is a dry, chocolate brown tone.
The brasses are original, the piece exhibits some shrinkage to the one board top. Two foot fascias are restored. The piece measures 35 inches high, 37 inches wide, 19 1/4 inches deep.