Edmund Camelloti, active Smyrna 1830. "Leander of Salem James Silver Commander made in Smyrna By Order of Jos. Corrier Sailor" Signed lower left 'Ed Camelloti fecit' Watercolor on paper 16 3/8 inches high, 21 1/4 inches wide. Sight size. 24 1/2 inches high, 29 inches wide.
The Brig Leander was built in her home port of Salem in 1821. She was owned by the wealthiest merchant in Salem, Joseph Peabody (1757-1844). The Leander made 23 voyages to Europe, Asia Minor, Africa and the Far East.Recently framed, glazed and 'French' matted. This artists works are in the collections of the Mystic Seaport Museum, Mystic, CT and the Peabody Museum, Salem, MA.
Recently reframed, glazed, and 'French' matted. Camelloti's works are in the collections of the Mystic Seaport Museum and the Peabody Museum, Salem, MA. See page 96 for another view of this vessel by this artist in "The Marine Paintings And Drawings in the Peabody Museum", M.V.and Dorothy Brewington, Salem, Massachusetts, 1968